Spring Tarragon Chicken Salad is easy with chives, bell peppers, radishes, cucumber, red potatoes, and tossed in a Greek yogurt dressing.
Chicken Salads are a great Summer Side Dish with lots of protein and flavor. You can easily lighten up a classic chicken salad and still get just as delicious of a dish. We’ve already done this with Healthy Waldorf Salad and Curry Chicken Salad. Now, this recipe is another to add to the list of amazing BBQ sides.
This Spring Tarragon Chicken Salad Recipe is perfect to share with guests at your next cookout or to enjoy as a light summer meal. The leftovers also keep well in the fridge, so I quite enjoy eating it for lunch in the few days after making it.
Spring Tarragon Chicken Salad comes with lots of unexpected, but delicious flavors. The tarragon itself has a distinct licorice-like taste that’s perfectly balanced by the chives, radishes, bell pepper, tender chicken, and other ingredients. The potatoes bring a more mellow flavor, and they all come together in a rich and creamy Greek yogurt dressing.
It’s the perfect chicken salad to serve along with your favorite savory meals like Baked BBQ Chicken or Healthy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. With these easy and healthy versions of your favorite dishes, you can enjoy your favorite springy-summery meals while sticking to your health goals.
Tarragon Chicken Salad also makes a delicious sandwich filling. Just scoop some between two bread slices and add extra veggies like tomato, lettuce, or onion. The refreshing and bright flavors would taste great with sun-dried tomatoes for unique sun-dried tomato chicken salad sandwiches.
MORE HEALTHY SUMMER SALADS
TIPS FOR MAKING SPRING TARRAGON CHICKEN SALAD
- Potatoes: To easily cook the potatoes, place them in a small pot with enough water to cover them. Season with salt and pepper, then cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about 6 minutes. Make sure the potatoes are fork-tender before you drain the water and let them cool.
- Dressing: While the potatoes are cooking prep the sauce. Add the chives, tarragon, vinegar, yogurt, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to the food processor. Then pulse until combined. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and continue to pulse until it all comes together in a thick, creamy dressing.
- Combine: Mix chicken pieces with romaine, potatoes, cucumber, radishes, and bell peppers in a serving bowl. Then add the sauce over the chicken and mix until the salad is coated. Season with salt and black pepper, and serve immediately.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SPRING TARRAGON CHICKEN SALAD
- Chicken: We’ve recommended using ready-made rotisserie chicken for this recipe. However, you can really use any cooked chicken you like. Whether that’s chicken thighs or skinless chicken breast. Just slice the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces before mixing it with the rest of the salad. This is a great recipe to use up any leftover chicken you have in the fridge.
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad: There are a few ways you can add some zesty lemon flavor to your chicken salad. The most obvious way is to mix a few teaspoons lemon juice to the dressing. You could also brush the chicken breasts with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest for an extra hit of lemon.
- Vegetable add-ins: There are plenty of fresh vegetables you can add to this salad recipe. Try mixing in some celery, cherry tomatoes, arugula, red onion, or baby spinach greens.
WHAT TO SERVE SPRING TARRAGON CHICKEN WITH
HOW TO STORE SPRING TARRAGON CHICKEN SALAD
- Serve: Don’t leave this chicken salad at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have leftovers, cover the bowl in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. The salad can keep well for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: Unfortunately, this dish doesn’t freeze well because the greek yogurt dressing will separate while defrosting.
- 1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes , halved
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives , chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon , chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 romaine hearts , torn
- 1 rotisserie chicken , skin removed and meat shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 Kirby cucumber , peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced
- 4 radishes , cut into wedges
- 1 yellow bell pepper , thinly sliced
- Place the potatoes in a small pot and cover them with water.
- Season with salt, cover, and boil until fork-tender, about6 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, pulse the chives, tarragon, vinegar, yogurt, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a food processor.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and pulse to make a thick dressing.
- Toss the romaine, potatoes, chicken, cucumber, radishes, and bell pepper with the dressing in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.