Healthy Broccoli Salad is a tangy and slightly sweet Summer salad. With raisins, almond, onion, bacon crumbles and a vinegar and Greek Yogurt dressing.
HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD
Broccoli Salad is the perfect quick recipe to enjoy for lunch or serve at your next BBQ. The crispy broccoli florets paired with the creamy dressing are a combination everyone will love! Not to mention it’s gluten-free, low calorie, and full of nutritious veggies
It’s always amazing to find healthy recipes that taste as delicious as the traditional version. Just like the lightened-up version of Coleslaw and Waldorf Chicken Salad, Broccoli Salad is healthy enough to eat on a diet, but delicious enough anyone will enjoy it.
MORE HEALTHY SALAD RECIPES
Ditch the mayonnaise
One of the ways this Broccoli Salad recipe is healthier than other versions is by replacing the mayonnaise with Greek Yogurt. Most Broccoli Salad recipes use a combination of mayonnaise and sour cream in the dressing. But since this one uses Greek Yogurt it’s much lower in calories and saturated fat. Plus Greek Yogurt brings more health benefits to the Broccoli Salad like probiotics, protein and calcium, but keeps the salad just as creamy.
Along with swapping out the mayonnaise this Broccoli Salad uses honey in the dressing rather than sugar. Honey contains minerals and antioxidants that make it a much better choice than making broccoli salad with sugar. If you don’t have honey, try using maple syrup for an ingredient instead of sugar.
Prepping Broccoli Salad
Making this Healthy Broccoli Salad recipe honestly couldn’t be easier. It’s a great make-ahead recipe and the total time is under 10 minutes.
The first step is preparing the salad dressing. In a small bowl whisk together the Greek Yogurt, honey, vinegar and other dressing ingredients. Once you’ve combined the ingredients store the bowl in the fridge while you make the salad.
Take two heads of raw broccoli and chop them into bite-size broccoli florets. Once you have bite-sized broccoli just toss them with chopped red onion, raisins, sliced almonds, chopped green onions, and bacon crumbles. Then add in the dressing and toss them all in a large bowl for serving.
That’s all there is to this simple Broccoli Salad recipe. And because it’s so simple you can feel free to experiment with different ingredients. For example many Broccoli Salads have cranberries, or sunflower seeds. Simple ingredients like that could add extra flavor or crunch to the broccoli dish.
VARIATIONS ON HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD
- Add-ins: There are plenty of easy mix-ins you can put in this broccoli dish. Two of the most common ingredients in Broccoli Salad are cranberries and sunflower seeds. Dried cranberries bring great flavor to the fresh broccoli just like the raisins. And sunflower seeds add a wonderful crunch to the creamy texture. You can also add other ingredients like pre-shredded cheddar cheese, or add some cauliflower with the broccoli.
- Dressing alternatives: An easy way to change up the flavor the next time you make Skinny Broccoli Salad is by changing the dressing you use. A light honey mustard dressing tastes delicious with broccoli. To make a honey mustard dressing combine 3 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon paprika, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, and 2 tablespoons olive oil, and a little bit of lemon juice to taste. Combine this dressing with the broccoli and other ingredients and enjoy.
- Dairy-free: For a dairy-free broccoli dish replace the Greek Yogurt in the dressing with a dairy-free yogurt. You can find Greek yogurt alternatives made with almond or cashews.
MORE REFRESHING SUMMER SIDE DISHES
HOW TO STORE BROCCOLI SALAD
- Serve: Once you’ve prepared Broccoli Salad don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have leftover Broccoli Salad, or if you’ve made the dish ahead, you can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
- Freeze: You can also store Broccoli Salad in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Course: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Author: Sabrina
For the Dressing:
- 3/4 cup 2% plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- 6 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup red onion , diced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Mix the yogurt, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and black pepper in a small bowl.
Add the broccoli, red onion, raisins, almonds and bacon to a large mixing bowl.
Toss the salad with the greek yogurt dressing and refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 166 calories, Calories: 166g, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 260mg, Potassium: 625mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 992g, Vitamin C: 137g, Calcium: 122g, Iron: 2g
All images and text © for Cooking Made Healthy.