Curry Chicken Salad made with mango chutney, almonds and currants is a delicious lightened up recipe with greek yogurt.
Curry Chicken Salad with Almonds and Currants
Chicken salad is a popular option for us here with the “free” chicken breast and greek yogurt. The mixture does so well with seasonings that you don’t even miss the copious amounts of mayonnaise. The chicken salad I most wanted to eat though? Whole Foods Curry Chicken Salad.
So we did an experiment. Two LARGE containers of Whole Food’s recipe and 10 pounds of chicken breast meat roasted off in the oven. We tried fat free yogurt and mayo mixtures of all varying quantities. We added fresh mango, mango preserves, frozen mango and even mango juice. I even tried texting a couple of friends I knew worked in the hot foods department at Whole Foods for insight.
We ended up settling on half mayonnaise and half greek yogurt for the rich flavor but low points. We let the chicken sit for two hours in the fridge so the chicken soaked up all the flavors and the almonds were softened alongside the currants. Letting it sit in the fridge was huge for us in the flavor department.
What to serve with Curry Chicken Salad:
- Lettuce wraps: I love this with butter or romaine lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
- Core out a tomato. I know its old school diner style, but this salad served in a tomato or over tomato slices is overwhelmingly how we enjoyed the 10 pounds of chicken we cooked.
- In a sandwich, pita or tortilla wrap as chicken salad is classically served.
- Over a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers.
Looking for more easy salad recipes?
- Tropical Quinoa Salad
- Cashew Kale Salad
- Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
Tools used in the making of this Curry Chicken Salad:
Curry Powder: A mild, hint of sweet and overall delicious curry powder.
Silicone Mat: Prevents the white meat chicken from drying out or overcooking in the oven.
Baking Sheet: Easy, even cooking in the oven. You can also use a Cast Iron Skillet in a pinch.
Curry Chicken Salad
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Author: Sabrina
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- canola oil spray
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup fat free greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup black currants
- 1 green onion sliced (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup almonds slivered
- 2 stalks green onions sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat, then add the chicken and spray with canola oil spray.
Roast for 18-22 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
Alternately you could boil the chicken until cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the oven to cool, then chop into small bite sized chunks - about a half inch to an inch.
Toss with the remaining ingredients and let sit for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 278 calories, Calories: 278g, Carbohydrates: 8.9g, Protein: 36g, Fat: 10.7g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 102mg, Sodium: 291mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 5.2g
All images and text © for Cooking Made Healthy.Save Recipe