A healthier Waldorf Chicken Salad made with greek yogurt, mayonnaise, grapes, apples and walnut is a creamy salad topper or sandwich filling you can enjoy for lunch.
Waldorf Chicken Salad
Waldorf Chicken salad was one of the recipes I used to make into sandwiches for tea time parties I used to create for clients. In those instances I would cut up the food into a very fine dice, include a bit more of the creamy yogurt and mayonnaise and put it into tea sandwiches that I crusted with the finely chopped walnuts. People went bananas for them. Yes, like b-a-n-a-n-a-s bananas.
We used to love enjoying the leftovers so much I began making them for our own lunches. My secret ingredient (not super diet-friendly but not terrible either) was the Trader Joe’s Slightly Sweetened Walnuts. We love those walnuts and I add them into all my salads and we snack on them too. They’re even amazing on cheese boards.
What to serve with this Waldorf Chicken Salad:
Add the chicken salad over lettuce and sliced tomatoes, stuff it into a pita pocket, wrap it in a low carb tortilla wrap or if you’re not on a strict point regimen stuff it in a delicious croissant!
How we lightened up this Waldorf Chicken Salad:
- Replaced 85% of the mayonnaise with Fat Free Greek Yogurt.
- Use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs.
- Cut way back on the amount of walnuts.
- Added poppy seeds to add extra texture with no additional points.
How to meal prep Waldorf Chicken Salad:
- Make the chicken salad ahead of time but sprinkle on the walnuts instead.
- Toss the apples well in the salad to coat well.
- Keep the grapes whole to prevent too much liquid releasing.
- If packing as a sandwich add whole lettuce leaves to both sides of the bread or tortilla before adding in the chicken salad.
- For additional fresh lemon flavor add lemon zest on top.
Tools Used in this Waldorf Chicken Salad:
Trader Joe’s Slightly Sweetened Walnuts: Not in the nutritional facts on this page but try them, they are amazing.
Lemon Juicer: Love this for juicing citrus, it gets all the juice out and easily!
Waldorf Chicken Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Author: Sabrina
- 4 cups chopped chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 stalks celery minced
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 1 granny smith apple chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes halved
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts totally optional, but I love them
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Add all the ingredients into a bowl together and mix well.
Yield: 4 servings, Amount per serving: 251 calories, Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups, Calories: 251g, Carbohydrates: 16.78g, Protein: 29.79g, Fat: 7.02g, Saturated Fat: 1.05g, Cholesterol: 83mg, Sodium: 242mg, Fiber: 2.3g, Sugar: 12.72g
All images and text © for Cooking Made Healthy.Save Recipe