Cucumber Salad is a classic side dish that’s perfect for Summer cookouts. With thinly sliced cucumbers, red onions, and a light vinaigrette dressing.
This Cucumber Salad recipe is a wonderful garden-fresh dish that’s wonderfully refreshing, especially on hot Summer days. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients like cucumber, red onion, sugar, and vinegar. However, this Cucumber Salad is a complex combination of tangy and sweet flavors all mixed with wonderfully crunchy cucumbers.
It’s an easy gluten-free, dairy-free, and low calorie dish that a you’ll find yourself making again and again. Just like Greek Salad or Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad, this Cucumber Salad recipe is a great side dish for your next BBQ, picnic, or weeknight meal.
Maybe one of the best parts of this recipe is how easy and fast it is. slicing the cucumber and onion is as hard as it gets. Apart from that it’s just a matter of tossing in a few more ingredients. It’s really incredible that you can get such a great taste from such a simple dish.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CUCUMBERS
You might be surprised to know that there are several kinds of cucumbers. Some popular varieties of cucumbers are Persian cucumbers and English cucumbers. English cucumbers are best for slicing and what you’ll typically find in U.S. grocery stores.
Thanks to the cucumber, you can get lots of health benefits from this Easy Cucumber Salad. Cucumbers make this salad recipe high in nutrients, but low in calories. They’re full of water, so eating them helps your body to stay hydrated. Cucumbers also have antioxidants and may help promote weight loss.
MORE HEALTHY SALAD RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CUCUMBER SALAD
- Tomato-Cucumber Salad: The flavor of tomato and cucumber pair wonderfully together. You can either dice tomato or use cherry tomatoes. Adding tomato is especially great if you’re going to serve it with an Italian dinner. Just toss the tomato, and other ingredients together and top it with feta cheese if you’d like.
- Add-ins: There are so many easy mix-ins you can add to Cucumber Onion Salad. Many people enjoy Dill and Cucumber Salads, so adding some fresh dill for an excellent flavor. Apart from dill, try adding minced garlic, chopped parsley, black pepper, feta, or red pepper flakes. You can also add other veggies along with red onion to the salad like chopped red pepper, bell pepper, or grated carrots.
- Creamy Cucumber Salad: Instead of making this crunchy Cucumber Salad with a vinaigrette dressing you can make a Creamy Cucumber Salad. Make the salad dressing with ½ cup low-fat sour cream, ¼ cup dill, 3 tablespoons white vinegar, and ½ teaspoon granulated sugar. Or for a lighter creamy dressing replace the sour cream with Greek Yogurt.
- Dressing alternatives: You can also replace the vinegar in the vinaigrette dressing. Try using white wine vinegar or rice vinegar. Or use other ingredients in your dressing like extra-virgin olive oil, sesame oil, and lemon juice.
MARINATED CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE
Instead of making a fresh crispy salad, you can let the cucumbers soak up the dressing. Here’s the easy step-by-step guide to do that.
- Whisk together 1 cup water, ½ cup vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper.
- Add cucumbers, onions, and any other desired ingredients like garlic or parsley. Toss until the salt is coated.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dish for at least 3 hours, so it can absorb the marinade.
MORE REFRESHING SUMMER SIDE DISHES
HOW TO STORE CUCUMBER SALAD
- Serve: To keep the cucumber and onion fresh longer, you shouldn’t leave the salad at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: You can refrigerate this salad for up to 2 days. Put it in an airtight container, or just cover the large bowl it’s in with plastic wrap. If you want to make the salad a day or 2 ahead combine the sliced veggies, store them in the fridge then toss it with the vinaigrette dressing before serving.
- Freeze: Unfortunately, cucumber doesn’t freeze well. So, you really can’t meal prep this recipe.
- 1 pound cucumbers , approximately 2 cucumbers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 small onion , thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Slice cucumbers thinly.
- Toss the cucumber slices with the sugar and salt in a serving bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and vinegar to the salad and toss until well coated.