Roasted Sweet Potatoes are tossed in simple oil, salt, and pepper then baked until the outside is crispy and caramelized with soft, fluffy insides.
If you’ve tried other roasted veggie recipes like Roasted Bell Peppers, Roasted Zucchini, and Roasted Red Onions, then you know that roasting your vegetables on a sheet pan in the oven is an easy way to get them perfectly crisp and flavorful. These roasted potatoes make an excellent Side Dish to go with any of your favorite weeknight dinners, and they’re so easy to make.
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
This potato recipe is one of the easiest dishes to toss together in a matter of minutes. All you have to do is slice each potato into cubes, or bite-sized wedges. Then toss the sweet potato cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once they’re coated, lay the sweet potato bites out on a rimmed baking sheet, and cook for 25-30 minutes. The roasted potatoes have a wonderfully tender texture with slightly more crispy and savory edges.
We’ve made this version with the most simple ingredients. Seasoning with just a little salt and pepper enhances the naturally earthy, nutty, and sweet flavors already in the potatoes. However, you can always experiment with different spices and seasonings in this recipe. It’s a great idea to choose seasonings based on the dinner you’re serving them with to ensure the elements of the meal complement each other.
These sweet potatoes are delicious to serve just as they are for a simple side dish. However, you can also add them into other dishes. Roasted Sweet Potatoes would taste great tossed in a salad like Chickpea Salad or Sweet Potato Kale Salad for an easy lunch.
MORE EASY VEGGIE RECIPES
SWEET POTATO HEALTH BENEFITS
These Sweet Potatoes are a wonderfully healthy addition to serve alongside any weeknight dinner. Although sweet potatoes are somewhat high in carbs for a vegetable, they’re also filling and packed with antioxidants and important nutrients.
Sweet Potatoes are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, and beta-carotene. Beta Carotene is an antioxidant that your body can convert into vitamin A, which is crucial for cell growth, vision, and healthy organs. It’s particularly present in sweet potato skins. In order to make this recipe extra healthy, you can skip peeling. Sweet Potatoes are also a good source of fiber. This makes them great for healthy digestion, and also helps to level out your blood sugar.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- Candied Sweet Potatoes: For a sweet caramelized flavor, toss your choice of sugars over the top of the potatoes. Maple syrup or brown sugar would pair best with the natural taste of sweet potatoes. You can also add some cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg for a sweeter version of this dish. The maple syrup or brown sugar will caramelize into a sweet crispy coating while baking.
- Spicy Sweet Potatoes: To make Roasted Sweet Potatoes with a spicy flavor, toss the sweet potato pieces in a sprinkling of spices along and oil. Spices like chili powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper will easily add some kick to the potatoes.
- Seasonings: Try out other herbs and spices like rosemary, parsley, thyme, paprika, cumin, oregano, or coriander.
- Veggies: You can try roasting other veggies along with the Sweet Potatoes for a healthy vegetable mix. Try chopping carrots, zucchini, and sweet potatoes into chunks and tossing them together. Broccoli and cauliflower florets would also make a great addition to the blend.
MORE HEALTHY SIDE DISHES
HOW TO STORE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- Serve: After roasting, don’t leave your sweet potatoes at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the potatoes cool, then transfer them to an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: As long as they’re kept carefully sealed, Roasted Sweet Potatoes can stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes , cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Spread the sweet potatoes out in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until fork-tender.