Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich is similar to a chicken salad with a lemon dijon aioli, celery and red onions. A healthy vegetarian lunch in minutes!
CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
This Chickpea Salad is such a simple no-cook meal that you’ll find yourself making it all year long. It’s a great go-to for packed lunches, picnics, and meal prep. Forget egg salad! Chickpea Salad is the dish you need at your next Summer Cookout! Try it with other BBQ favorites like Corn and Avocado Salad, and Healthy Baked Beans.
This simple whole-food sandwich contains many delicious and protein-packed ingredients. The veggies, like chopped celery and red onion, add tons of flavor to the sandwich. You can also add extra vegetables like cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, even pickles. And the chickpeas come with so many excellent health benefits.
Chickpeas make a great meat substitute, because they are full of protein, fiber, and vitamins. And chickpeas help with weight management because they are filling, but have a low calorie density. Really chickpeas are an excellent addition to any diet. So, rather than eating a chicken salad or egg salad sandwich swap it for this delicious chickpea one. It’s a no-brainer.
ASSEMBLING THE PERFECT CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
All there is to this Chickpea Salad Recipe is whisking together a few flavorful ingredients. Once that’s done, all that’s left to this great recipe is assembling the sandwich. First toast your choice of bread. Chickpea salad tastes excellent on a multi-grain, whole wheat, or even gluten free bread.
Put a thin layer of butter, mayonnaise or hummus on the toasted bread. Scoop half a cup of the chickpea mixture onto the bottom slice, then stack on lettuce, and sliced tomatoes. Feel free to add any other veggies and fillings of your choosing at this stage like cucumber, avocado, or pickles. Put the top bread slice on, or leave it open-faced to cut back on carbs, and enjoy! Even with assembling the sandwich the total time to make this chickpea salad is less than 10 minutes.
MORE HEALTHY SUMMER DISHES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
- Vegan Chickpea Salad: Even though this salad is dairy-free it is non-vegan due to the light mayo that contains eggs. To make a vegan sandwich replace the mayo with a plant-based, vegan mayo. Vegan mayo is available at most grocery stores. You can also use an olive oil based dressing with dijon mustard and lemon juice. This won’t be as thick of a salad as the mayonnaise recipe makes. Alternatively replace the mayonnaise with mashed avocado.
- Add-ins: The next time you make this Chickpea Salad recipe experiment with different flavors and easy mix-ins. Try adding some chopped dill pickle, tomatoes, green onions, sunflower seeds, cherry tomatoes or bell peppers. Or add flavor to the salad recipe with minced garlic, flat leaf parsley, black salt, red pepper flakes, or any fresh herbs. If you’d rather not mix new ingredients into the salad, you can sprinkle some over the top before serving. Sunflower seeds make an excellent crunchy garnish. You can also crumble feta cheese or goat cheese over the Chickpea Salad.
GREEK CHICKPEA SALAD
Rather than making your chickpeas into a salad for a sandwich, there’s another classic way to prepare a chickpea salad recipe. Here’s the recipe for how to make a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad or Greek Salad. This recipe won’t use mayo, mustard, or celery.
- Chop 1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper, and dice 1 red onion, chop 1 cucumber.
- Toss the above ingredients, plus 15 cherry tomatoes.
- For the dressing whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 clove of minced garlic, and a teaspoon oregano. You can make it a vinaigrette dressing using red wine vinegar if you’d like.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and refrigerate.
MORE EASY VEGETARIAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHICKPEA SALAD
- Serve: Because of the mayo in this recipe, you shouldn’t leave your sandwich out for more than an hour or two.
- Store: To keep leftovers or for a make-ahead sandwich, store the salad ingredients in an airtight container separate from the bread. It should stay good for up to 5 days. Don’t try to keep the assembled sandwich in the fridge.
- Freeze: To use this recipe for meal prep store the chickpea salad in an airtight container in the freezer. It should stay good for up to 4 months. The next time your hungry for a Chickpea Salad Sandwich let the salad defrost in the fridge overnight, then assemble your sandwich as normal and enjoy!
- 15 ounces chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery , minced
- 1/4 cup red onion , minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley , minced
- Add ¾ cup of the chickpeas, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until mostly creamy with some chunks remaining.
- Add the mixture to a large bowl with the remaining ¾ cup chickpeas, celery, red onion and parsley.
- Toast bread, top with lettuce, slices of tomatoes and ½ cup of chickpea mixture.