Greek Turkey Burgers with feta cheese, spinach, lemon juice and garlic are flavorful, juicy and diet friendly!
Greek Turkey Burgers
These Greek Turkey Burgers are a fun way to liven up the boring old classic turkey burger. With all the fun additions to the mix the patties are really juicy and full of flavor.
When making burger patties I tend to stay as minimal as possible if I’m using ground beef. This is because my classic burger recipes call for ground chuck. Ground chuck is very fatty and full of flavor, so with just some salt and pepper you have a great burger Ron Swanson would be proud of.
When working with leaner meats; whether it be lean beef, chicken or turkey, you have to bring both flavor and moisture back to the mix.
The best Turkey burger recipe:
- Grated onion adds moisture without texture.
- Garlic and lemon add a bold flavor to the otherwise nearly flavorless ground turkey breast.
- The added fat of the feta cheese adds a salty and creamy texture that feels both indulgent and satiating.
- Searing quickly on a high heat works to cook the turkey burgers quickly to avoid as much moisture loss as we can.
Since the feta cheese is the only ingredient in the patty that makes these patties less diet-friendly. In fact, even if you divided the patties into 3 or 4 instead of 6 it would still be relatively healthy!
Best Burger Tips:
- Handle the patties as little as possible, the warmer the mixture the less moist and more tough it will become.
- Cook on high heat and flip only once, do not move around in the pan before flipping.
- When making patties make an indentation with your thumb in the middle to keep the patties from becoming round pucks.
Best ways to serve up these burgers:
- In the lowest point buns you can find.
- In lettuce cups or boats or lettuce buns.
- Cut up over some salad.
- In a pita pocket (my favorite way)
Greek Turkey Burgers
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ yellow onion grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup greek feta crumbles
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
To make the burgers (if eating as a burger):
- 6 hamburger buns
- green leaf lettuce
- 1 to mato sliced
- ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
Mix the spinach, garlic, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, feta, lemon juice, lemon zest and turkey together in a bowl until just combined.
Shape into 6 patties, 3/4-inch thick.
Heat a griddle or cast iron grill pan on pan to high heat.
Add the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Do not keep flipping them over.
To make into burgers:
Toast the hamburger buns lightly.
Mix the yogurt, lemon, salt and pepper in a bowl and add to the buns.
Top with lettuce, onion and the turkey patty.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 169 calories, Serving Size: 1 patty, Calories: 169g, Carbohydrates: 2.5g, Protein: 23g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 62mg, Sodium: 122mg, Fiber: 0.7g, Sugar: 0.9g
All images and text © for Dinner, then Dessert, Inc.Save Recipe