Healthy Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the perfect crumbly cake for breakfast with whole wheat and oat flour that stays super moist with sour cream and applesauce.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the perfect sweet Breakfast Recipe for weekend mornings or holidays to serve alongside your favorite Breakfast Casserole.
SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
This Coffee Cake recipe is the perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee on a relaxing morning. You’ll love the rich flavors from cinnamon, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and walnuts.
Just like Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread, or Super Skinny Pumpkin Muffins, this simple Coffee Cake makes healthy exchanges. So, you can enjoy Coffee Cake while eating healthy, but you’ll never taste the difference.
Some of the healthy ingredients used in this Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe are using apple sauce, and a whole wheat and oat flour mixture. Because this Coffee Cake uses apple sauce and sour cream it’s perfectly moist without using vegetable oil, coconut oil, or any other oil. There is also less butter in this batter, than in most Coffee Cakes. So it’s relatively low-fat.
This Cake also uses a combination of oat flour and whole wheat flour. Oat flour and wheat flour have much more nutrients and fiber than all-purpose flour. Of course, there are other healthy exchanges you can make for all-purpose flour. For example, if you need gluten-free coffee cake make it with just gluten-free oat flour or almond flour.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE BEST COFFEE CAKE
Here are some easy step-by-step tips for baking the best ever Sour Cream Coffee Cake every time.
- When you combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients be careful not to over-mix. Keep your mixer on a low speed and stop when just combined.
- You don’t need melted butter for this recipe. But make sure the butter is softened before you mix it with the other ingredients.
- To make sure the Coffee Cake is done put a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, you’ll know it’s done baking. The total time for baking shouldn’t be more than 30 minutes.
- Whether you use a bundt pan, loaf pan, or regular cake pan spray it with non-stick spray before adding the batter.
MORE CAKE RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
- Greek Yogurt Healthy Coffee Cake: You can use full-fat Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream in the ingredients.
- Sweeteners: You can also swap out the sugar in this recipe. If you’d rather not use normal white sugar, exchange it for coconut sugar. You can also exchange the brown sugar for maple syrup.
- Add-ins: There are lots of delicious ingredients you can add into this Healthy Coffee Cake recipe the next time you make it. Add in a handful of blueberries, chocolate chips, or pecans to cake batter. Pecans are a classic addition to many baked goods and they’ll add a delicious crunch to this coffee cake recipe. You can also sprinkle pecans over the top, or add a sweet topping like powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- Streusel Crumb Topping: Many Coffee Cake recipes are made with a streusel topping. A great recipe for a crumb streusel topping is 2 tablespoons butter, ¼ cup whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Whisk together the streusel crumb topping. Then mix it with the walnuts that you add to the top of the cake.
- Coffee Cake Muffins: Instead of making a coffee cake, turn this recipe into Coffee Cake Muffins. Muffins make a wonderful breakfast to enjoy on the go. Mix the ingredients just like you normally would. Then pour the batter into a lined muffin tin. Add a streusel or crumb topping if you’d like. It’ll make wonderfully moist streusel muffins.
MORE SWEET BREAKFASTS
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
- Serve: Freshly baked coffee cake can last 1-2 days at room temperature. If you leave it at room temperature, make sure to put it in an airtight container or cover the coffee cake in plastic wrap.
- Store: Stored properly, Healthy Coffee Cake will last up to a week in the fridge.
- Freeze: Sour Cream Coffee Cake can last up to 3 months in the freezer. Store cut pieces of cake in a freezer bag or sealed container. Separate them with parchment paper so they don’t stick together.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts , chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour , rolled oats in food processor
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8 pan with baking spray.
- Mix brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- To your stand mixer add the sugar, butter and applesauce until well combined on medium-high speed.
- Add in the egg whites until creamy, then lower the speed to medium and add in the sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
- Sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- On the lowest speed setting add in the flour until just combined.
- Add in half the batter to your baking pan, add half the walnut mixture to the batter, then spoon the remaining batter over the walnuts.
- Top with the remaining walnut mixture and bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Really enjoyed your blog. Thank you for writing this. You’ve have a new fan.
You’re so kind! Thank you!