Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a moist, rich quick bread that you’ll never guess is healthy with cocoa powder, chocolate chips and applesauce.
Just like regular Zucchini Bread, this Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe doubles as a Healthy Dessert or sweet breakfast bread. Serve it as a chocolate cake inspired treat after dinner or have a slice with your morning coffee.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
You’ll love the melty chocolate and fudgy flavor in your Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread! The simple ingredients are wonderfully sweet without using too much sugar. And the zucchini adds a nice earthy undertone without overpowering the cocoa powder. It’s the perfect quick bread for health nuts and chocoholics alike!
If you’d like a more mild chocolate taste in your bread use dutch-process cocoa. Dutch-process has a lighter color and more subtle taste than regular cocoa powder.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread is such a great recipe for beginning bakers to try out. To make this easy bread recipe start by using a grater to grate your zucchini. Set the grated zucchini aside and mix together the wet ingredients, without over-mixing. After whisking together the dry ingredients gradually add them in. Then simply fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips with the rest of the batter. After that, all you have to do is pour it in a non-stick sprayed loaf pan, and pop it in the oven. You’ll know it’s done baking when you insert a toothpick in the center, and it comes out without batter.
MORE HEALTHY DESSERTS
Health Benefits of Zucchini
Along with being delicious and easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is also a healthy alternative to cake and other desserts. The zucchini is a great source of vitamins and potassium. You’ll find zucchini in a lot of baked goods because of its mild flavor. Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread still has a very sweet taste, even while it gives you a dose of vegetables.
This bread also uses whole wheat flour, instead of all-purpose flour. Whole Wheat has more fiber than white flour. It also contains more vitamins and magnesium. So, even though this bread tastes like a chocolate dessert, you can eat it for breakfast or a snack guilt-free.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Add-ins: You can change the chocolate chips in this recipe for milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips, instead of semi-sweet. Apart from chocolate chips, there are plenty of other additions you can make to your zucchini bread. Some raisins would make a great addition to this Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe. Add some walnuts, or slivered almonds for an extra crunch. Or add in a little spice with nutmeg, or some ground cloves.
- Gluten-free: Replace the wheat flour with almond flour or oat flour for a gluten-free zucchini bread recipe.
- Greek Yogurt Zucchini Bread: You can replace the apple sauce in the zucchini bread with ¼ cup Greek Yogurt. You can also use half a cup sour cream. The slight sourness in the recipe plays wonderfully off the chocolate flavor of the zucchini bread.
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins: Instead of making Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread into a loaf make it into an easy breakfast muffin. Just mix the zucchini bread recipe as usual and then pour the batter into a lined muffin tin. Once they’re done baking, you’ll have an easy on-the-go breakfast muffin.
- Sweetener alternatives: Compared to other Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipes this bread has a lot less sugar. But if you don’t want to use white sugar at all, you can replace it with coconut sugar or brown sugar.
- Dairy-free: This bread is already practically free of dairy. The only ingredient you’ll have to change is finding dairy-free chocolate chips.
MORE HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPES
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Serve: Kept covered in a cool and dry place your zucchini loaf will stay good for 1-2 days at room temperature.
- Store: If you wrap the bread in plastic wrap or put it in a sealed bag, it will last for a week in the fridge.
- Freeze: This is a great recipe to make ahead. Slice your bread and store it in an airtight container in the freezer. It will stay good for 3 months. You can defrost a slice at a time for an easy, chocolate breakfast or dessert.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter until well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into the center doesn't come out clean, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the loaf pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.