Black Bean Burgers are a tasty vegetarian take on burgers. Easy, flavorful, plant-based patties that are surprisingly similar to classic hamburgers.
BLACK BEAN BURGERS
Delicious Black Bean Burgers or veggie burgers are the perfect dinner to satisfy vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Made with black beans, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, and cumin, Black Bean Patties are unbelievably healthy and bursting with flavor. It’s seasoning and burger-like texture will make this Veggie Burger irresistible even to your most meat-loving friends.
Enjoy this Veggie Burger with classic sides and condiments you’d serve with an old-fashioned burger. Some delicious and healthy sides are Healthy Baked Beans, Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries or Baked French Fries. Both sweet potato and classic fries will taste delicious alongside this Black Bean Burger recipe, and give you the feel of your favorite fast food burger meal.
You should also stack this Veggie Burger with all the veggies and condiments you would for a typical burger. Whether that’s ketchup, chipotle mayo, Roasted Onions, tomato, lettuce, or mustard. As many things as you love on a classic burger will taste just as delicious with your veggie burgers.
When it comes to picking a bun for your burger you can go with a classic store-bought burger bun, sesame seed bun, whole wheat bun, or a gluten-free bun. If you use a gluten-free bun and would like the rest of the recipe to be gluten free, you’ll need to replace the breadcrumbs. Replace the breadcrumbs in the recipe with oat flour or almond flour, and enjoy a gluten-free burger.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BLACK BEANS
Black beans are a great ingredient to use in this recipe. Not only are they easy to form into a burger, they are also packed with nutrition. Beans are great to include in a vegetarian or any diet. That’s because beans are full of protein, fiber, and vitamins. They even decrease the risk of heart disease.
THE EASIEST VEGGIE BURGER
Making this Bean Burger is unbelievably easy. It’s sure to become a go-to dinner the next time you need to pull something together fast. Start by mashing the beans into a paste. You can use a food processor for this, but the beans are fairly easy to mash just using a fork. Then add the bell pepper, onion, and other veggies. Next simply whisk together the egg, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce. Once that’s combined mix it with the bean paste.
After that, you just have to gradually combine the mixture with bread-crumbs. Once mixed divide the bean mixture into four equal portions, and use your hands to form them into patties. Cook each Bean Burger on a skillet. Use a non-stick skillet or prep it with extra virgin olive oil. Once pan-fried place them in a bun and enjoy with your choice of toppings.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BLACK BEAN BURGERS
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BLACK BEAN BURGERS
- Add-ins: The next time you make these burgers try adding some new ingredients. Some good additions are green onions, jalapeño, sweet potato or red onion. Chop the vegetables into small pieces that you can add to the burger mixture. To make the add-ins less visible you can put the mixture through a food processor until well blended. Because they all have a strong taste, don’t add more than a few tablespoons or less of any one ingredient.
- Vegan Black Bean Burger: Easily turn this great recipe into a Vegan Black Bean Burger. The only non-vegan ingredient in this Bean Burger recipe is the egg. To make fully vegan burgers simply replace the egg with a Flax Egg.
MORE SANDWICH FILLING RECIPES
HOW TO STORE BLACK BEAN BURGERS
- Serve: After making veggie burgers, don’t leave them out for longer than 2 hours.
- Store: If you have leftover burgers store the patties in a freezer bag separated by parchment paper. Black Bean Burgers will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: This great recipe is also freezer-friendly. You can freeze bean burgers for up to 6 months.
- 16 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper , cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion , cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce , optional
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Using a fork or your hands, mash black beans in a medium bowl until forming a thick paste.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to a food processor and process to a fine dice. Stir diced vegetables into the black beans.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce (if using).
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans until well combined.
- Mix bread crumbs gradually into the black bean mixture until it is sticky and holds together. Divide into four equal portions and form into patties.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties in the skillet for 8 minutes, then flip them over and cook for an additional 8 minutes.