Baked French Fries are russet potatoes lightly coated with olive oil and seasoning and baked until they’re warm and crispy, ready in under 45 minutes!
BAKED FRENCH FRIES
Baked French Fries are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and insanely easy to throw together on a weeknight.
All you need is seasoning, potatoes, oil, and a baking sheet. Because these are baked instead of deep fried, they’re lower in fat and calories, so you can eat them guilt free!
These are really similar to my Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries, but with a more classic approach. I like to serve these with a small amount of ketchup, aioli, or even low fat ranch dressing.
HOW DO YOU MAKE FRENCH FRIES CRISPY IN THE OVEN?
- Cut your fries on the thinner side. This will add crispiness, and also speed up the cooking time for your french fries.
- Try using olive oil cooking spray to evenly coat the fries with oil, which will crisp the fries in the oven.
- If your fries aren’t getting crispy, next time try soaking them in a bowl of water with a dash of salt for 30 minutes to remove some of the starch. Remove them from the water and onto a paper towel, patting until completely dry. Then season and bake according to the recipe.
- Spread the fries out as much as you can, so they’re free to crisp up on all sides.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW LONG WILL BAKED FRENCH FRIES KEEP?
Oven baked french fries will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, in an airtight container. Keep in mind that french fries are best eaten right out of the oven, they will lose their crispiness in the refrigerator.
CAN YOU FREEZE BAKED FRENCH FRIES?
French fries are perfect for making ahead and freezing until you’re ready to throw them in the oven. I like to double or triple this recipe and prep them for freezing instead of cooking, so I can pull them out when we need a quick side dish, or I know company is coming over.
To freeze french fries, first you need to blanch them. Bring water to a boil, then add fries and boil for 2 minutes. Remove the fries from the boiling water and put them straight into a bowl of ice water, to stop the cooking process.
Then lay the fries on paper towels, patting until dry. When they’re totally dry, place in a large bag, squeezing as much air out as possible, and freeze.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED FRENCH FRIES
WHAT TYPE OF POTATOES CAN YOU USE FOR FRENCH FRIES?
You want to pick a potato that is higher in starch, like russets or sweet potatoes. Technically you can make french fries out of any potatoes, but the starchy varieties will hold up and crisp the best, especially in the oven.
TIPS FOR MAKING BAKED FRENCH FRIES
- Cut your fries into roughly the same size and thickness, which will ensure that they finish cooking around the same time.
- Top with fat free cheese and sour cream (or Greek yogurt) with chopped green onions and crumbled turkey bacon for loaded french fries!
- Use any seasoning that you like. Try garlic and rosemary, or chives and onion powder. You can also add cayenne pepper for spicy baked french fries.
- You can use olive oil, canola oil, or coconut oil for this recipe. The oil helps the seasoning stick to the fries, and helps them get crispy in the oven.
- 4 russet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch thick fries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and add all the ingredients to a large bowl (or ziplock bag) to toss together.
- Place on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.