Healthy Zucchini Bread is a sweet, and spiced bread with shredded zucchini, applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, and whole wheat flour that’s wonderfully moist!
HEALTHY ZUCCHINI BREAD
From banana bread, to cinnamon bread, to pumpkin bread, there’s just not much better than a fresh baked loaf of quick bread. And now there’s the just as sweet and oh-so nutritious Zucchini Bread! Just like banana bread, it’s moist and flavorful. It’s the perfect breakfast to enjoy with a cup of coffee or dessert for after dinner.
Beginning bakers might be intimidated by the idea of making bread, but there’s no need to worry. This zucchini bread recipe is as simple as whisking the wet ingredients, then adding them to the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Once it’s well combined, just pour the mixture into a loaf pan and bake for an hour.
The rich smells of cinnamon, and nutmeg will fill your house while the Zucchini Bread is baking. After the hour, check to see if the loaf is done by inserting a toothpick in the center of the bread. If it comes out without batter, it’s done. Then just let it cool and enjoy! The total time to make the bread is a little over an hour and that includes baking.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ZUCCHINI BREAD
This bread may taste as sweet as a pastry, but it’s packed with healthy ingredients. It’s a low-fat and heart-healthy dessert, breakfast, or snack. Most obviously, there’s the zucchini. The zucchini is a great source of vitamins and potassium, and if you leave the shredded zucchini unpeeled you’ll get some extra nutrients.
You can find lots of zucchini recipes for baked goods because of their mild flavor. Despite zucchini being a main ingredient, it doesn’t affect the overall flavor too much. Zucchini Bread still has a very sweet, quick bread taste.
While the zucchinis are great, there are many more healthy ingredients in this zucchini bread. One of them is applesauce, which makes this Zucchini Bread recipe moist. It also helps sweeten the loaf, so there isn’t as much sugar needed. The recipe doesn’t use any white sugar at all. There’s brown sugar in the recipe, but you can replace it with maple syrup. This is a great option because maple syrup has fewer calories and provides antioxidants.
Instead of using all purpose flour, this recipe uses healthier wheat flour. Whole Wheat has more fiber than white flour. It also contains more vitamins and magnesium!
You can also enjoy this Healthy Zucchini Bread recipe on a dairy-free diet. There’s no milk in the Zucchini Bread and all the ingredients are non-dairy.
MORE HEALTHY DESSERTS
VARIATIONS ON HEALTHY ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Add-ins: If you love this Zucchini Bread, try adding in some more ingredients next time you make it. You can add chocolate chips, raisins, or walnuts. Any of them will add wonderful texture and pair nicely with the light zucchini flavor.
- Gluten-Free: Make your Zucchini Bread gluten-free by replacing the whole wheat flour with other flour substitutes. Try oat flour, buckwheat flour, or almond flour in your Zucchini Bread.
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread: Add half 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder to the dry ingredients to make Chocolatey Zucchini Bread. The chocolate will make your Zucchini Bread an excellent dessert, and pair nicely with the zucchini.
- Muffins: Turn your Zucchini Bread into easy zucchini muffins. Zucchini muffins make a great on-the-go breakfast, and can be frozen for later. Prepare your dry and wet ingredients like you normally would. Once they are combined, pour the mixture into a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan to make delicious zucchini muffins.
MORE HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Serve: Kept covered whole wheat Zucchini Bread will last 1-2 days at room temperature.
- Store: To extend the life of the Zucchini Bread, keep it in an airtight container, or wrapped in plastic wrap, in the fridge. If carefully sealed, it will last up to a week.
- Freeze: Zucchini Bread lasts in the freezer for 1-2 months. For an easy make-ahead breakfast, slice the loaf before freezing it. Then defrost a slice at a time to keep the loaf longer. Let it defrost in the fridge overnight. Eat it cold in the morning, or heat it for a few seconds in the microwave on a paper towel.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed (or maple syrup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini , grated and squeezed dry (you can use up to 1 ½ cups)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.
- Whisk together the oil, brown sugar, eggs, applesauce, vanilla and zucchini until well combined.
- Sift together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Whisk together the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just combined.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes.