Vegetarian Chili is the perfect comfort food to satisfy everyone. Packed with flavor from 3 kinds of beans, chili powder, garlic, peppers, cumin, and corn.
Vegetarian Chili is one of those go-to healthy recipes you’ll find yourself making again and again. It’s an easy one-pot dinner made in a large dutch oven and ready in an hour. Make it for your next chili cook-off, potluck, or simple family dinner.
If you’ve tried our recipes for Healthy BBQ Chicken Breasts or Healthy BBQ Pulled Pork, you know what a huge hit healthy dinners can be to feed a crowd. This chili is just as flavor-packed, but unlike those recipes, vegetable-filled, meatless chili can be enjoyed by vegetarians and vegans.
This Easy Vegetarian Chili recipe is a wonderfully versatile dish that’s perfect for a big group or small get-together. Anyone you serve it to is sure to love the rich flavors from the tomatoes, peppers, seasoning, corn and beans. Vegetarians, meat-eaters, non-vegans, and foodies alike can’t get enough of this plant-based, gluten-free chili because it’s just as delicious and rich as meat-based chili.
Vegetarian Chili is a great recipe to make in advance and have ready for the next time you run out of time to cook. Try making a double batch of the chili. You can enjoy half on the night of, and freeze the rest for later. Let the chili cool then transfer it to a freezer bag or other airtight container to store in the freezer. It should keep well for up to 6 months.
When you’re ready to eat the chili, move it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw overnight. Then, right before dinner reheat it in a dutch oven. It’s easy, quick, and so delicious!
COMFORTING SOUP RECIPES
Healthy toppings for Vegetarian Chili
There are so many delicious toppings you can serve over your Vegan Chili recipe. One of the great thing about toppings is you can put out many options that your guests can pick from and individualize their bowl. Since you don’t have to put the same toppings on all of the chili, you can put out vegan and non-vegan toppings so everyone can pick according to their diet.
Put out some diced tomatoes, tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro, cheddar cheese, extra sautéed yellow onions, and sliced avocado. The great thing about corn tortilla chips is that you can enjoy them on a gluten-free diet. The only toppings you’ll have to avoid on a dairy-free diet are sour cream and cheese. Other than those, pretty much anyone can enjoy any of these options on their Easy Vegetarian Chili recipe.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON VEGETARIAN CHILI
- Add-ins: There are plenty of vegetables and seasoning add-ins you can put in your meatless chili the next time you make it. Try adding red onion, zucchini, red bell pepper, green onions, fire-roasted tomato, crushed tomatoes, fresh cilantro, or extra chilis. You can also exchange or add other beans in like pinto or navy beans.
- Spicy Vegetarian Chili: For some extra kick in your Vegan Chili toss in some extra chopped jalapeño peppers, a dash of hot pepper sauce, and paprika.
- Sweet Potato Chili Recipe: Another delicious twist on this meat-free chili recipe is adding in chopped sweet potatoes. Add them along with the tomato sauce and beans to cook. The flavorful, soft potatoes make the chili even more filling and give some nice sweet contrast.
- Chili with broth: For a chili with a thinner more soup-like consistency add a few cups of low-sodium vegetable broth to the Vegetarian Chili recipe.
MORE WAYS TO MAKE VEGETARIAN CHILI
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Add the olive oil to a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Cook the chopped onion for 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, chopped green chili peppers, bay leaves, tomatoes, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black beans, corn, chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper to the slow cooker.
- Mix the ingredients in the crock-pot until combined.
- Set slow cooker to high and cook for at least 2 hours.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Set the Instant pot to sauté mode, and add the extra-virgin olive oil and onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, green chili peppers, and bay leaves to the instapot.
- Add the rest of the chili recipe ingredients to the instant pot and stir them together.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure.
- Add any toppings you want and enjoy!
MORE VEGETARIAN RECIPES
HOW TO STORE VEGETARIAN CHILI
- Serve: After cooking your Vegetable Chili, don’t leave it out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Once the Vegan Chili has cooled to room temperature, cover it or store it in an airtight container. Stored properly, Vegetable Chili can stay good in the fridge for 5 days.
- Freeze: This Veggie chili is also a great recipe for meal-prep. In an airtight container or heavy-duty freezer bag you can keep Vegan Chili in the freezer for up to 6 months. Let your chili defrost in the fridge before reheating it in the microwave or on the stove top.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 2 green bell peppers , chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers , diced with seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 ounces chopped green chile peppers , drained (2 cans)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cans whole peeled tomatoes , crushed
- 15 ounces kidney beans , drained
- 15 ounce garbanzo beans , drained
- 15 ounce black beans , drained
- 15 ounce whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cooking for 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, green chili peppers, and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Raise heat to high until boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes.