Beef and Cabbage Roll Soup is a hearty and healthy weeknight dinner with ground beef, onion, carrots, and cabbage you can make in just 30 minutes.
This flavorful cabbage soup is a classic favorite like our Classic Lentil Soup. There’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of soup, if you’re looking for more be sure to browse our Soup Recipes.
BEEF AND CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
Beef and Cabbage Roll Soup has all the flavors of classic cabbage rolls, but is so much easier and quicker to make. Cabbage rolls are a traditional dish made by wrapping cabbage leaves around ground meat and vegetables that you season with garlic, onion, and other spices. You then cook the cabbage rolls and serve them warm with sauce. This is a *delicious* dish we love making, but it is labor intensive.
This recipe for Cabbage Soup is just as tasty as stuffed cabbage rolls, but saves you the hassle of wrestling with cabbage leaves. You can make it in one pot and its total time is less than half the time it takes to make cabbage rolls. You’ll save yourself on prep time, cooking, and cleanup.
Most recipes you’ll find for Cabbage Roll Soup include rice to balance out the vegetables and make the soup much more filling. Instead, this recipe uses cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice is a great way to reduce calories and carbohydrates, while still making the soup satisfying and filling. If you prefer to use rice you could swap in white rice or brown rice.
If you are using uncooked rice add additional liquid to account for the absorption the uncooked rice will need. Adding one cup of uncooked rice I would add an additional 2 cups of broth. If adding cooked rice you don’t need to account for additional liquid.
Like all soups, this great recipe is perfect if you serve it hot alongside crusty bread or rolls for dipping.
MORE DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON BEEF AND CABBAGE STEW
- Seasoning: Next time you make this easy soup recipe, you can experiment with flavors using different seasoning and spices to see what you like best. Try adding a pinch of oregano, dried thyme, or ground cumin.
- Diced Tomatoes: This Cabbage Roll Soup already has tomato sauce included in the recipe. If you’d like more texture and tomato flavor, you can easily add diced tomatoes along with the other vegetables.
- Worcestershire sauce: Many recipes for Cabbage Roll Soup include Worcestershire sauce. Adding about a tablespoon will give this Cabbage Soup a distinct tangy and savory flavor.
- Vegetarian: With just a few easy changes you can make vegetarian Cabbage Roll Soup, instead of Corned Beef and Cabbage Roll Soup. Obviously, you’ll have to take out the ground beef. You’ll also need to swap out the beef broth for low-sodium vegetable broth. Because this won’t be as substantial of a meal without meat, you can add in some extra cauliflower rice and vegetables. You can also try adding potatoes so it’s more filling.
- Other Proteins: You can easily swap ground beef for ground turkey, chicken or pork if you don’t eat red meat with no issues.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef and Cabbage Roll Soup
You can easily make this corned beef soup in a slow cooker. You’ll first have to simmer your onion and ground beef on your stove top until they are browned, before putting them in your crockpot. Then add the remaining ingredients and stir them together.
After you’ve combined the ingredients, put the lid on and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6-7 hours. You’ll have delicious Cabbage Roll Soup ready for you at the end of the day.
MORE HEALTHY BEEF DINNERS
HOW TO STORE CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
- Serve: Leftover Beef and Cabbage Roll Soup can be kept at room temperature for up to two hours before you should store and refrigerate it.
- Store: It will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days stored in an airtight container.
- Freeze: Beef and Stuffed Cabbage Soup stores pretty well in the freezer. Make sure it’s cooled to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container, or freezer bag. It will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat your leftovers, let it thaw in the fridge over night then heat it up on the stove top.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef , (90/10)
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 2 medium carrots , sliced (about 1 cup)
- 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 12 ounces cauliflower rice
- 1/2 head cabbage , chopped
- To a large dutch oven on medium-high heat add the ground beef, onion, salt and pepper.
- Break apart the meat, cooking it for 8-10 minutes until browned.
- Add in the garlic, cook for 1 additional minute.
- Pour in the celery, carrots, tomato sauce, paprika, beef broth, cauliflower rice and cabbage and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.