Easy Turkey Chili made with kidney beans, canned chili peppers and plenty of warm spices for the perfect filling Healthy chili!
Easy Turkey Chili Recipe
This is the best turkey chili you’ll eat, I promise. It’s easy, hearty, and flavorful. I am not even going to pretend to hide my excitement about this chili.
You’ll love this chili and find yourself craving it. I’ve used it in so many ways it’s become a natural filler meal for me.
I love making this chili with ground turkey breast. You can certainly use ground chicken breast which is also point free or just skip it altogether. I also make this into a skinny beef chili by using 94% extra lean ground beef which only comes to 2 smart points per serving with 1 ⅓ pounds and six servings.
Tips for making the best Turkey Chili:
- Make sure you brown your turkey well, this adds lots of flavor.
- Cook the onions well before adding in the rest of the ingredients, they’ll melt into the chili.
- Don’t be afraid of the spices, especially the chili powder.
- If you prefer an even heartier chili add more beans. Just be sure to increase the spices accordingly.
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
Cook the turkey in the instant pot on the browning setting before adding in the rest of the ingredients (skip the chicken broth) to the instant pot. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes before letting it naturally come back to regular pressure.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Recipe
Cook the turkey in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. Add the ingredients to the slow cooker (minus 1 cup of the broth) and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Ways to use Leftover Chili:
- Top low point hot dogs with turkey chili and shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese on top for an indulgent meal that only feels indulgent.
- Add ¼ cup to the middle of bread and sliced super sharp cheddar for a delicious and filling grilled cheese sandwich.
- Serve over zucchini noodles for a healthier “Cincinnati Chili” copycat. I sometimes do half zoodles and half pasta.
- Top a salad with it along with tomatoes, fat free sour cream, diced tomatoes and olives.
- Top a baked potato with chili for a hearty meal with fat free greek yogurt or sour cream.
- In a large bowl, with a piece of indulgent cornbread (hey your chili is ZERO smart points!).
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced finely
- 2 stalks celery diced finely
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cans red kidney beans rinsed and drained (15 ounce)
- 1 cans cannelini beans rinsed and drained (15 ounce)
- 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes not drained
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 4 ounce can diced chilis
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Add the canola oil to a large stock pot on medium high heat with the turkey breast and cook all the way through for 5-7 minutes, breaking it apart with a spatula.
- Add in the onion, bell pepper and celery cooking and additional 5 minutes while stirring occaisonally.
- Add in the garlic, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, diced chilis, chili powder, cumin, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Cook, uncovered on low heat for 25-30 minutes or until thickened