Lentil Rice Soup is a wonderfully hearty, protein-packed soup that’s full of veggies. Made with brown rice, tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and lentils.
This is the perfect Soup Recipe to make for a cold night. It’s hearty, comforting, and full of flavor. If you like this Lentil Rice Soup, try other lentil dishes like Healthy Lentil Soup and Moroccan Lentil Stew next.
LENTIL RICE SOUP
There’s nothing better than a piping hot bowl of soup to get you through the cold months. This is a simple Lentil Rice Soup that you can simmer in one pot to make a flavor-packed dinner. It’s an easy soup you can combine on the stove and let it all cook together for 45 minutes. Though it takes a while to make, most of that time is hands-off.
It’s an especially great dinner if you pair the soup with some soft, crusty bread for dipping. You can try a healthy, homemade bread like Rosemary Focaccia Bread or Greek Yogurt Biscuits. Either one will do a great job soaking up the rich flavors from the soup.
Even though this dish is packed with veggies, it’s still very kid-friendly. The onion, celery, and apple cider vinegar bring a lot of savory flavors to the lentils and rice. However, none of them are too overpowering. They come together to make a hearty soup your whole family will love.
Lentils are an excellent budget-friendly and healthy ingredient. They’re a protein rich ingredient that’s full of iron and fiber. Lentils are also good for your heart and provide plenty of energy. They’re very filling so you can enjoy a hearty, satisfying meal without a lot of calories.
Along with the lentils, the brown rice has plenty of health benefits. Brown rice is an excellent whole grain ingredient. Just like lentils, they are filling and full of fiber. The veggies also have plenty of vitamins and nutrients to offer. All together this is a perfectly nutritious dinner that’s low in cholesterol, gluten-free, and delicious.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON LENTIL RICE SOUP
- Vegetarian Lentil Soup: To make this Lentil and Rice Soup vegetarian all you have to do is change the broth in the soup. Replace the chicken stock with vegetable broth, and you have a vegan and vegetarian friendly meal.
- Wild Rice Lentil Soup: Instead of making a brown rice soup, try making the soup with long-grain wild rice. This will make a great hearty recipe that’s still gluten-free.
- Add-ins: There are so many delicious add-ins you can put in this soup for different flavors. To make the soup more filling you can add some chopped sweet potatoes. Apart from sweet potatoes, you can add lots of ingredients just to change up the flavor. Some great seasonings to try are curry powder, and cumin. You can also squeeze some lemon juice over the top before serving.
MORE WAYS TO MAKE RICE LENTIL SOUP
Instant Pot Lentil Rice Soup
If you have an instant pot, you can easily prepare your Lentil and Brown Rice Soup for a quick dinner. Here are the step-by-step instructions for instant pot Lentil and Rice Soup.
- Start by soaking the lentils and rice in water. After about 30 minutes drain them and set aside.
- Turn the instant pot to sauté mode. Add in extra-virgin olive oil and cook up diced tomatoes, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in the basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Pour in the apple cider vinegar, broth, lentils, and rice.
- Pressure cook for up 10 minutes. Let the pressure cooker naturally release for 5 minutes, before serving.
Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Soup
This soup is a great recipe to set in your slow cooker in the morning and have ready after a long day.
- Pour all the ingredients together into the slow cooker.
- Set to medium-high heat and cook for 7-8 minutes.
MORE ONE POT DINNER RECIPES
HOW TO STORE LENTIL RICE SOUP
- Serve: Once you’ve cooked this soup, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: You can keep this soup in the fridge for up to a week. Wait for it to cool, then seal it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Freeze: If you make the soup ahead of time, you can freeze if for up to 6 months. The next time you’re ready to enjoy the soup let it defrost in the fridge, then reheat it on the stove.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups lentils , rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 58 ounces canned diced tomatoes , (2 29-ounce cans)
- 3 carrots , sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 stalk celery , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot on high heat, add three cups water, chicken broth, lentils, rice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, bayleaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and cover. Cook for 45-50 minutes.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar and serve.