Healthy Blueberry Coffee Cake is moist and tender with a crunchy walnut topping. With wheat flour and applesauce to replace most the oil.
Just like Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread this coffee cake recipe can be enjoyed as a sweet Breakfast or Healthy Dessert. But it doesn’t matter when you eat it, Blueberry Coffee Cake is sure to be a new favorite!
HEALTHY BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE
Eating healthy shouldn’t stop you from enjoying baking. There are so many ways to make your favorite desserts lighter. And if you like this lightened Coffee Cake recipe, you should try other healthy cakes like Whole Wheat Carrot Sheet Cake and Banana Cake.
Coffee Cake gets its name because of how well it pairs with a cup of coffee. The sweet flavors and crumbly texture of Coffee Cake is the perfect complement to your favorite latte. Healthy Coffee Cake with cinnamon, brown sugar, and frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries is the ultimate breakfast to indulge in on slow mornings.
Thanks to this recipe, you can enjoy Coffee Cake as a breakfast or dessert without worrying about it being too unhealthy. Instead of using lots of oil and melted butter like most Coffee Cakes, this cake uses a combination of applesauce and yogurt. Which makes the Healthy Coffee Cake recipe relatively low-fat.
This Coffee Cake also uses a combination of oat flour and whole wheat flour. Oat flour and wheat flour have much more nutrients and fiber than all-purpose flour. Of course, there are other healthy exchanges you can make for all-purpose flour. For example, if you need gluten-free coffee cake make it with just gluten-free oat flour or almond flour.
The blueberries also add a lot of nutrients to your cake. Whether you use frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries in your cake, they’re packed with antioxidants. Blueberries also decrease your chance for heart disease and are anti-inflammatory. It’s no wonder people call them a super food.
MORE CAKE RECIPES
TIPS FOR BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE RECIPE
This Coffee Cake is a great recipe for anyone new to baking because it’s so easy to make. Here are some simple tips to help your Coffee Cake come together with no stress.
- If you have a springform pan, it’s the easiest way to bake a cake. But if you don’t just use any cake or bundt pan. Just make sure to spray the pan with non-stick spray before putting the batter in it.
- When you mix the brown sugar, applesauce, butter and oil with the other wet ingredients don’t overmix, and use a spatula to push down the batter as needed.
- It’s also important not to mix too fast when you add the dry ingredients to this. Keep your stand mixer on the lowest speed, until combined.
- To make sure the Coffee Cake is done put a toothpick in the center. If it comes out with crumbs instead of batter, you’ll know it’s done baking. The total time for baking shouldn’t be more than 35 minutes.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON HEALTHY BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- Sweetener alternatives: There are some exchanges you can make for the regular sugar in this recipe. You can replace the white sugar in the crumbly coffee cake with coconut sugar. You can also exchange the brown sugar for maple syrup.
- Add-ins: Next time you make Coffee Cake there are plenty of wonderful ingredients you can add. A little bit of lemon zest or lemon juice will compliment the blueberry and cinnamon flavors. You can also replace the blueberries with raspberries, or add pecans along with the walnuts in the batter.
- Toppings: Instead of adding ingredients to the batter, you can add toppings to your coffee cake. Make a crumb streusel topping for a Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake. An easy mixture for streusel is 2 tablespoons butter, ¼ cup whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Prepare the streusel crumb topping and mix it with the walnuts and blueberries that you add to the top of the cake.
- Coffee Cake Muffins: Instead of making a blueberry cake try turning the recipe into blueberry muffins. Coffee Cake Muffins make a wonderfully portable breakfast. Mix the ingredients just like you normally would. Then pour the batter into a lined muffin tin. Add a streusel or crumb topping if you’d like. Enjoy Streusel Blueberry Muffins with a coffee on-the-go.
MORE SWEET BREAKFASTS
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- Serve: If covered and kept in a dry place, freshly baked coffee cake can last 1-2 days at room temperature.
- Store: To keep Healthy Coffee Cake longer store it in the fridge. Stored properly it can last for a week.
- Freeze: You can freeze Coffee Cake for up to 3 months. Store cut pieces in a freezer bag or sealed container separated by parchment paper.
- 1 cup oat flour , rolled oats in food processor
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter , at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup walnuts , chopped
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries , tossed in a bit of flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8" pan with baking spray.
- Sift together oat flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- To your stand mixer add the brown sugar, applesauce, butter and oil on medium speed until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla and yogurt until well blended.
- Lower the speed to the lowest setting and add in the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Add half the batter to your baking pan.
- Top with half the walnuts and gently lay half the blueberries onto the walnuts.
- Spoon over the remaining batter gently and top with remaining walnuts and blueberries (gently).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.