Cauliflower Soup is warm and creamy without any heavy cream or cheese. It’s the perfect comforting dinner with cauliflower, onion, garlic, and thyme.
This Cauliflower Soup recipe is perfectly creamy and delicious. It’s an easy go-to dinner for chilly nights that you and your whole family will enjoy. Not only is this great recipe delicious, it is also low-fat, gluten-free, sugar-free, low-calorie, low-carb, and low-sodium.
This recipe is so healthy and full of vegetables, it might surprise you just how kid-friendly it is. Once the cauliflower and milk are blended into a puree they taste unbelievably creamy and somewhat cheesy, despite having no cheese or heavy cream.
It has a similar starchy and creamy taste to a potato soup, or a broccoli and cheddar soup. Unlike those soup recipes, Healthy Cauliflower Soup uses light ingredients. Most creamy soups use some combination of sour cream, cream cheese, or half-and-half. Instead, this soup gets all the creaminess it needs from pureed cauliflower and plain milk. It still comes out so flavorful and rich without all the calories.
Tips for making Creamy Cauliflower Soup
This Soup is wonderfully easy to make, and has minimal clean-up. The whole recipe should be done in about a half hour. Here are some quick tips to help you along the way.
- Before you start adding ingredients let the extra virgin olive oil warm up over medium heat.
- After the olive oil has had time to heat up add the onions and let them simmer. You’ll know the onions are roasted when they are fragrant and translucent.
- You should also cook the garlic before the rest of the ingredients. Add the garlic in with the onion, but don’t cook it for as long. The garlic should only need about a minute before adding the florets, broth and the rest of the ingredients.
- When it comes to the broth you have a few options. You can use chicken stock or vegetable broth as the base of the soup. Using a vegetarian broth is perfect for anyone on a vegetarian diet, and it shouldn’t change the overall taste too much.
- Once you’ve mixed the ingredients, puree the soup using a food processor or immersion blender. Blend until the cauliflower florets and other ingredients are smooth.
MORE SOUP RECIPES
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- Add-ins: It is very easy to add more ingredients to this delicious recipe. Add veggies like chopped celery, green onions, and roasted bell peppers. Add the celery at the same time you add the milk if you’d like to leave them whole, or before to put it through the blender. You can add more than veggies to Cauliflower Soup. Delicious flavors like curry powder, mustard powder, or even lemon juice will blend nicely. Or try adding filling ingredients like potatoes or chickpeas. Making it a Cauliflower Potato Soup or adding chickpeas will increase the calories, but it will also make the soup more filling for a main dish.
- Dairy-free: Make Healthy Cauliflower Soup non-dairy by replacing the the milk in the recipe. Use plant-based substitutes like coconut milk or almond milk. Coconut milk and almond milk are both low carb and low calorie.
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup: To make this Soup with Roasted Cauliflower, instead of blending all the cauliflowers you’ll leave some small roasted cauliflower pieces in the soup. When you roast the garlic and onion add in 2 cups of cauliflower to be roasted. The roasted cauliflower will be done once slightly browned. Remove the roasted cauliflower from the pot and set it to the side before adding the other ingredients. Blend the ingredients as usual. Once the cauliflower is blended put the soup back in the pot. Add in the milk and the cauliflower you roasted earlier, and heat it through on medium-low.
INSTANT POT CAULIFLOWER SOUP
You can make this Soup in the instant pot instead of over the stovetop. It will come out just as rich and flavorful.
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces. Add the cauliflower, garlic, chopped onion, chicken broth, fresh thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure, open the pot and add milk. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup or put the soup in a blender until smooth.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CAULIFLOWER SOUP
HOW TO STORE CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- Serve: Once you’ve made Creamy Cauliflower Soup, don’t leave it at room temperature for more than a couple hours.
- Store: Keep the Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Stored properly, this soup can last for 6 months in the freezer. To serve the soup let it defrost in the fridge before simmering it in a large pot to reheat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 large cauliflower , cut into florets
- 6 cups chicken broth , vegetable broth is okay too
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to pot and cook 5-7 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is soft.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf, then blend in batches in a blender or food processor (you can use an immersion blender if you have one.)
- Mix in milk and reheat in pot if needed.