Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is rich, creamy, keto-friendly, and completely kid-friendly. Made with cauliflower, cream, melty cheese, and mustard.
Just like Creamy White Bean Pasta, this easy Lunch Recipe is a lightened alternative to a classic creamy pasta. However, unlike pasta recipes, you can enjoy Cauliflower Mac while on a gluten-free diet.
Keto Cauliflower Mac comes out crisp-tender and covered in a creamy cheddar sauce. It’s the perfect comfort food in an easy one-pot recipe. Low Carb Cauliflower Mac makes an easy lunch that your kids will love as much as classic macaroni and cheese. You can also serve it as an easy potluck side dish. It’s always great to find low carb recipes like this one, because you can serve it to a big group for people on a variety of diets to enjoy!
Because Macaroni and Cheese is often served as a side for classic Southern dishes, you should try doing the same with this Keto Mac. This Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe will taste amazing alongside Pulled Pork Sandwiches or Pretzel Crusted Fried Chicken. Whether you serve it with a delicious dinner or on its own, you won’t be able to get enough of this creamy cauliflower dish.
Cauliflower is an excellent replacement to make low carb dishes. It has a light taste, and excellent texture, that’s why the cauliflower florets blend nicely and don’t overpower the other flavors of the dish. It’s also low in calories and packed with fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins. What’s not to love?
PREPARING CAULIFLOWER MACARONI AND CHEESE
Making this sugar-free, Keto dish couldn’t be easier. First, prep the cauliflower. If you’re using a fresh head of cauliflower cut it into bite-sized florets. Then, add the cauliflower to boiling water on medium-high heat and let it sit for a few minutes. Boiling the cauliflower will cook and soften it. Drain the water and set the florets aside.
Next, you just have to prepare the cheese sauce. To do this simply add the cream, cheddar cheese and other ingredients to the same pot over a lower heat. Mix the ingredients together into a smooth cheese sauce. Lastly, add the cauliflower to the cheese sauce and mix it together until the cauliflower is coated. The total time for the whole recipe shouldn’t be more than 15 minutes. That’s all it takes to enjoy this rich, Keto macaroni dish.
More Cauliflower Recipes
Create a free account to Save Recipes
Variations on Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Protein-additions: If you’d like some more protein in this recipe apart from the cheddar, you can try adding some meat. Mix in some chopped grilled chicken, pork rind, or grilled turkey.
- Add-ins: There are plenty of delicious flavor additions you can make to Keto Cauliflower Macaroni. Try adding garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, or even cayenne pepper for some extra kick. Additionally, you can try more types of cheese like parmesan. Mix the Parmesan Cheese in at the same time as the cheddar, or just sprinkle it over the top when the recipe is done.
- Cauliflower Mac Casserole: It’s easy to prepare this dish on a stove top, but you can also make it in the oven like a casserole. Briefly prepare the cauliflower florets in the water as usual. Mix the cheese sauce, without heating it all the way through. Then, add the cauliflower to a baking dish and pour the cheese sauce over the top. Next, add a breadcrumb topping, if you’d like. Just remember the breadcrumb will make it higher in carbs. Lastly, put the baking dish in the oven and bake until the top is bubbling.
Serve Keto Macaroni and Cheese Alongside These Recipes
How to Store Keto Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
- Serve: Because of all the cheese and dairy ingredients in the recipe, you shouldn’t leave Low Carb Cauliflower Mac at room temperature for more than a couple hours.
- Store: You can keep Keto Macaroni in the fridge. Stored properly, it should be good for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: To keep this ultimate comfort food longer, store it in the freezer. The frozen cauliflower and cheese sauce should be good for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- 16 ounces cauliflower , chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces low-fat cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- In a large pot on the stove, add 4 cups of water on high heat until boiling. Add cauliflower and boil for 6 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low on the now-empty pot and add the heavy cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ground mustard, salt and pepper, and mix regularly until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower back in and stir until well coated.