Buffalo Cauliflower is the PERFECT spicy appetizer made with roasted cauliflower coated in a seasoned batter and spicy buffalo sauce, ready in 45 minutes!
Buffalo Cauliflower is spicy and crispy, made with fresh cauliflower, seasoning, batter, and buffalo sauce. They’re the perfect healthy option for a game day appetizer. I like to serve these with chopped celery, carrots, and a big helping of low fat blue cheese dressing.
This is a great recipe if you have any vegetarian guests, and only takes a total time of 45 minutes to make. Plus it’s less calories than the normal wings version!
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WITHOUT FLOUR
You can make this this recipe with or without the all-purpose flour. If you don’t use the batter, just coat the cauliflower florets in buffalo wing sauce and bake as usual. Reserve some extra sauce for when they’re done baking.
You can also make these vegan by omitting the batter, and mixing the hot sauce with a dairy-free butter substitute.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO SAUCE
- 2/3 cup hot sauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
Whisk everything together in a saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted and mixed in. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool. You can add other spices, like garlic, cayenne, or paprika here if you’d like to.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
- Carrots and celery
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Sliced cucumbers
HOW TO MAKE BAKED BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER CRISPY
The key to a good crispy cauliflower is the batter. Carefully coat each floret, and gently shake the cauliflower to remove any excess. If you have too much or too little batter, the cauliflower might become soft.
Make this cauliflower extra crispy but leaving the cauliflower in the oven slightly longer, or turning on the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Watch the broiler to make sure the cauliflower doesn’t burn before you stop it.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER IN AN AIR FRYER
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Prep the cauliflower, then add to the air fryer basket and place the basket back into the air fryer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the batter is cooked through. Shake the basket, and return to air fryer.
- Shake every 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower is crispy.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
MORE VEGETARIAN HEALTHY RECIPES
- Baba Ganoush
- Garlic Broccoli Steaks
- Skinny Deviled Egg Potato Salad
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Slaw
- Mexican Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
TIPS FOR MAKING BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
- Serve this in a warmed corn tortilla with cabbage and sliced avocado for buffalo cauliflower tacos!
- If you’re putting these in an air fryer, make sure you only do one layer of the cauliflower. If they’re stacked on top of each other, the florets won’t get crispy.
- Use more or less garlic powder or garlic salt and hot sauce to suite your own tastes, or serve more on the side for anyone who wants extra.
- You can make the buffalo sauce yourself, or use the store bought version if you’re short on time.
- Make this recipe with lean chicken breast instead of cauliflower for a higher protein version.
- Make this even spicier by whisking some cayenne pepper or sriracha into the hot sauce, or topping the florets with some red pepper flakes.
- Use whole wheat flour in the batter for an even healthier alternative.
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the milk, water, flour, garlic salt and pepper in a large bowl then toss with the cauliflower and put the cauliflower without the excess sauce on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the baking sheet, toss with the buffalo wing sauce and return to the baking sheet for an additional 10 minutes in the oven.