Healthy Baked Sliced Apples are the perfect autumn treat. Sweet and tart sliced apples coated in cinnamon and brown sugar then baked until caramelized.
Baked Apples are a great way to enjoy the flavors of your favorite holiday Dessert Recipes but in a more healthy way. For more nutritious fruit desserts be sure to try Applesauce Bread and Balsamic Strawberries.
HEALTHY BAKED SLICED APPLES
Autumn is the perfect season to enjoy baked apple recipes. Whether you’ve gone apple picking, or just picked up some apples from the grocery store, Baked Apple Slices are the best way to enjoy them. They’re an excellent alternative to an apple pie or apple crisp that you can enjoy on a low-calorie diet.
Baked Cinnamon Apples are perfectly sweet, tart, and tender with warm spices and a delicious caramelized coating. They only take a few simple ingredients to make. All you need are some fresh apples, butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Toss them all together, then pop them in the oven for the most delicious cinnamon apples ever.
Cinnamon Apples have a similar flavor to apple pie filling, and they go great with a number of desserts. You can enjoy the fruit on its own, serve them over vanilla ice cream, or with a spiced cake. You could also use the baked apples to make a wholesome breakfast by topping off Baked Oatmeal or Sour Cream Coffee Cake with them.
For this recipe, either golden delicious or fuji apples are a great choice. They’re both easy to find in a good size, and they’re a slightly more sweet apple, which makes them good to pair with the cinnamon spice. If you prefer tart apples, you can try another apple variety like Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Cortland.
MORE HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES
TIPS FOR BAKING SLICED APPLES
- Prep time: Start by preheating the oven and prepping an 8×8 baking sheet with cooking spray. If you don’t have nonstick spray, you can always line the dish with parchment paper instead.
- Apples: Next, slice and core apples. You want to cut them into fairly small apple slices. The smaller pieces will break down and cook faster. Once they’re sliced, lay them out in a single layer on the prepared baking dish.
- Coating: Melt the butter in a microwave-safe dish, then add it to a bowl with cinnamon and brown sugar, and mix them together. Spoon the mixture over the cinnamon apple slices.
- Baking time: Put the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. The apple slices should be tender and caramelized.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON HEALTHY BAKED SLICED APPLES
- Maple syrup: If you prefer Baked Apple Slices with a slight maple taste, you can use sweet maple syrup instead of brown sugar. This is especially good if you’re going to use them as a breakfast topping.
- Coconut sugar: Another sugar replacement you can try is coconut sugar. It will sweeten the apples nicely and has a good amount of nutrients and antioxidants.
- Oats: For something more like an apple crisp, you can coat the apples in a healthy oat mixture. Combine ¾ cup oatmeal with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. You’ll also want to leave the butter cold and mash the ingredients together for a crumbly oat mixture.
- Spices: For some extra flavor try adding a teaspoon of ground nutmeg, fresh ginger, allspice, or cloves to go along with the cinnamon mixture.
- Vegan: If you want to make the recipe vegan, all you have to do is replace the butter with an oil like coconut oil.
MORE AUTUMNAL RECIPES
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY BAKED SLICED APPLES
- Serve: To keep the Cinnamon Apples fresh, don’t leave them at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: You can store leftover apples covered or sealed in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Baked Apple Slices can also be stored frozen. Seal them in a freezer bag or another airtight container and keep them for up to 6 months.
- 3 large golden delicious apples , cut in half (or fuji)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 8 by 8 inch baking dish with baking spray.
- Cut apples in half, remove core and cut each half into 4 slices.
- In a medium bowl combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple slices.
- Bake, uncovered, in the oven for 20 minutes.