Ground Hawaiian Beef made with lean ground beef, bell peppers, onion, and pineapple in a sweet and savory sauce, made in under 30 minutes!
GROUND HAWAIIAN BEEF
Ground Hawaiian Beef is one of my go-to weekday recipes, made with lean ground beef, peppers, onions, and big chunks of pineapple with a sweet and sour Hawaiian-style sauce.
You get a savory, salty taste from soy sauce and rice vinegar, while the ketchup and brown sugar add a sweet molasses-type flavor that goes perfectly with the beef.
You can serve this over steamed rice or spaghetti squash, and top with chopped green onions or chives.
HOW TO MEAL PREP GROUND HAWAIIAN BEEF
You can make this recipe ahead of time to meal prep for the week. Cook the ground beef according to the recipe, then allow to cool completely. Separate among 4 freezer-safe containers, add over 1 cup of rice per container, seal, and freeze.
HOW LONG DOES GROUND HAWAIIAN BEEF LAST?
Ground Hawaiian beef will last in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GROUND HAWAIIAN BEEF
- Cashew Kale Salad
- Tropical Quinoa Salad
- Chickpea Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
Create a free account to Save Recipes
HOW TO MAKE THIS IN THE SLOW COOKER
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil with garlic, onions, and ground beef. Cook until beef is browned but not totally cooked through.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and stir together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. If you’re serving over rice, prep it when there’s about 30 minutes left on the slow cooker timer.
- Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
TIPS FOR MAKING GROUND HAWAIIAN BEEF
- Make this dish spicy with a teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- You can make this recipe with lean ground pork, ground turkey, or ground chicken as an alternative to beef.
- You can make this ground Hawaiian beef vegetarian by replacing the beef with extra firm tofu. Drain the water from the tofu, then press between paper towels until most of the water is out. Then crumble into the skillet after the vegetables are softened and add sauce.
- You can also make this recipe using leftover steak or rotisserie chicken cut into pieces.
- Use this same mixture in cooked corn tortillas to make ground Hawaiian beef tacos.
- Instead of the sweet and sour sauce, make this same recipe using teriyaki or garlic sauce.
- 1 pound beef 90/10
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 green bell pepper cut into 1" chunks
- Add the beef, yellow onions, green bell pepper (the rest of this bell pepper will be chopped bigger) and garlic to a dutch oven and cook until the beef is cooked through and the onions are softened.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce and pineapple juice and cook for 3-4 minutes then add in the pineapple chunks and bell peppers mix well and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes to soften the bell peppers.