Balsamic Grilled Vegetables with just a hint of sweetness, grilled in a grill pan with deliciously charred spots. The perfect, easy side dish to your favorite grilled dinners.
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
We all look for easy side dishes to make with out meals. Bonus points if they aren’t steamed right? Some of the most vegetables we’ve eaten since starting back on our weight loss journey has been vegetables with balsamic vinegar. The hint of sweetness and richness in the balsamic vinegar is the perfect light (in this quantity!) addition to these vegetables.
Unlike yesterday’s Parmesan Roasted Vegetables these grilled ones cook right alongside your favorite grilled main proteins and don’t take up any oven space.
Good vegetables for grilling:
- Zucchini, squash and eggplant
- bell peppers
- onions, green onions
Best tools for grilling vegetables:
Now that you have the vegetables picked out and the tools to cook it, we can discuss flavors.
Best ways to season vegetables on Weight Watchers:
- Add spices to your heart’s content: Any spices and herbs you’re using in your main dish are perfect to complement your vegetables
- Top with fresh herbs once cooked: Fresh herbs liven up any food, especially vegetables.
- Add vinegar: Balsamic, apple cider and rice wine vinegar are all slightly sweeter vinegars that you can add to your foods to add flavor with little to no points.
- Citrus: We live by citrus fruits on Weight Watchers, most notably lemon, Meyer lemon, lime and orange. You can even grill some orange or lemon halves beside these vegetables to add more flavor.
- Salt: I know people are sensitive to salt, but the most important thing to do to your food is season it. Without salt all the other flavors of the food are also muted. Salt enhances flavor when used in the right amounts, it does not make it salty.
- 2 red bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
- 2 yellow squash sliced 1" thick into half moons
- 2 green zucchini sliced 1" thick into half moons
- 1 red onion cut into 1" chunks
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Toss the vegetables in the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add to a grill pan or skewers.
- Cook on indirect medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until softened and a bit charred.
- Cover with saran wrap and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.