Thai Sweet Chili Turkey Lettuce Wraps made with an easy sweet chili sauce, bell peppers and celery in lettuce cups. The perfect easy and light meal you can prep ahead.
Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps
We love healthy, easy Asian recipes and these lettuce wraps are no different. With the switch in the new freestyle system that makes ground turkey breast a zero point item, we love that we can enjoy this recipe with no guilt. Sometimes we even make them as a snack. When meal planning we even make a double recipe of these to keep in the fridge.
If hunger strikes we can make 3 lettuce wrap for 2 points with just a 30 second microwave zap on the turkey mixture. You’ll be thrilled with how easy and filling these wraps are. They’re the perfect 5pm snack you reach for when you get home from work and have to unwind from work while you get everyone settled into the house and get dinner started.
I’m guilty of snacking on the nearest thing in site when I’m decompressing after a long day. We used to keep point free snacks in bowls in the center island (grape tomatoes work great for this!) but now I like to incorporate more point free proteins which make me feel less hangry. Keeping a healthy protein option on hand which holds up well to meal prepping has been a lifesaver.
Create a free account to Save Recipes
What type of lettuce is used in lettuce wraps?
We love both iceberg and butter lettuce. Iceberg lettuce is more crisp and juicy to bite into while butter lettuce is soft and better suited to wrapping food completely. Butter lettuce may not hold up to hot food as well as iceberg lettuce can. If using cold food like deli meat or chicken/tuna salad you can also use romaine lettuce in the lettuce wraps.
These easy lettuce wraps are the perfect healthy snack. We love adding in new and different vegetables each time we make them too. Bell peppers are an obvious option, celery has a great crunch that provides a great counterpart to the turkey.
Alternate vegetable mix-ins for lettuce wraps:
- If you would like to cook the turkey without the vegetables you can toss in freshly diced cucumber with the turkey just before serving.
- Bamboo shoots and water chestnuts are great mix-ins for these turkey lettuce wraps.
- Carrots, zucchini, cauliflower rice and green onions are also fantastic lettuce wrap mix-in options.
Can you use ground chicken or ground pork instead?
Absolutely, ground chicken breast would also result in a zero point option while a very lean ground pork would be really flavorful and help the dish stay low in points.
Can you make vegetarian lettuce wraps?
YES! Using a firm tofu that you baked would be a great option (also point free) as well as just swapping out the turkey for more vegetables. If you skip the turkey and go with just vegetables I’d cook the vegetables a little bit longer (at least maybe the firmer ones like if you added carrot). That caramelization will add a lot of flavor to the lettuce wraps.
Looking for more Easy Asian Recipes?
- Skinny Sesame Chicken
- Skinny Teriyaki Chicken
- Skinny Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
- Skinny Chinese Orange Shrimp
- Skinny Kung Pao Chicken
- 4 teaspoons canola oil divided
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 red bell pepper minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper minced
- 1 stalk celery minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- Add 1 teaspoon of canola oil to a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the turkey and break it apart with a spatula, cooking and stirring for 4-6 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the red and green bell peppers, celery, garlic and ginger to the pan along with the remaining tablespoon of canola oil.
- Cook and stir together until the peppers are just a tiny bit softened, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and sweet chili sauce to the pan and stir.
- Serve in iceberg lettuce cups.