Skinny Teriyaki Shrimp made with a quick and easy homemade teriyaki sauce.
Shrimp is a great quick and easy dinner option that we love and this teriyaki recipe is a perfect takeout copycat recipe just like our Skinny Chinese Orange Shrimp.
Skinny Teriyaki Shrimp Recipe
Teriyaki Sauce is a hard option for those of us counting calories. Unless you find a reduced fat version (made with processed ingredients) most people avoid teriyaki sauce because it’s always so full of sugar.
We make this light teriyaki shrimp recipe with a homemade teriyaki sauce so we can control the amount of sugar in the recipe.
How to peel and devein shrimp:
- To peel raw shrimp, tear away at the shell above the first segment of the shell (the tail segment).
- Take a paring knife and make a shallow cut along the spine of the shrimp (the back of it).
- Using the paring knife or a fork, gently remove the black strip of intestines.
- To remove tails just squeeze the shrimp out from the bottom of the tail segment.
What to serve with Skinny Teriyaki Shrimp:
- Serve it over your favorite steamed vegetables, stir fried vegetables, cauliflower or brown rice.
- Soup! Hot and Sour soup or even egg drop soup are great healthy options.
- Cook zucchini noodles and carrot noodles before adding in the shrimp.
Teriyaki Shrimp Marinade:
Leave out the cornstarch and water from the sauce recipe and add the shrimp to the marinade and marinate for 15 minutes before cooking.
Looking for more easy shrimp recipes?
- Skinny Chinese Orange Shrimp
- Chili Honey Lime Shrimp
- Mexican Shrimp Burrito Bowl
- Garlic Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti Squash
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined (16-20 count)
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar unpacked
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- sesame seeds for garnish optional
- Add the canola oil to a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side before removing the shrimp from the skillet.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet and whisk well, cooking until thickened.
- Add the shrimp back to the skillet and coat the shrimp before serving.