Spicy Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp over Spaghetti Squash Pasta with red peppers, Parmesan Cheese and white wine for a healthy take on the Italian classic pasta dish.
Shrimp is a great protein to enjoy on a diet due to a quick cooking time and it is an easy, healthy way to cook with classic flavors and bold ingredients.
Garlic Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti Squash
We love Italian food and one of the most difficult cuisines to enjoy on Weight Watchers is the carb/pasta/all things wheat centered foods of Italy. With the swap of spaghetti squash we’ve found that by using really bold flavors we are able to enjoy Italian comfort food again like with my Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce.
Cooking Spaghetti Squash:
Cut the spaghetti squash into sections, then either boil or roast it in the oven. Boiling is fastest but doesn’t retain the flavors well while roasting takes the longest.
You can also cut the spaghetti squash into rings and microwave the rings under a moist paper towel for the longest strands.
When cutting a spaghetti squash I highly recommend using a serrated knife as the vegetable is quite thick to cut through.
The spaghetti squash, once cooked, is tossed into the sauce and flavored well so it takes on all the spicy, buttery, lemony flavors of the scampi.
Weight Watcher Friendly Pasta Substitutions:
If you want more of a pasta feel I sometimes do also add in angel hair pasta as well.
If you aren’t a fan of spaghetti squash at all, another favorite veggie noodle of mine is zucchini. It has great pasta feel too, and I definitely will cut pasta into it sometimes too to have the real chew of pasta but the bulk I’d want to enjoy.
How to peel and devein shrimp:
- To peel raw shrimp, tear away at the shell above the first segment of the shell (the tail segment).
- Take a paring knife and make a shallow cut along the spine of the shrimp (the back of it).
- Using the paring knife or a fork, gently remove the black strip of intestines.
- To remove tails just squeeze the shrimp out from the bottom of the tail segment.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp 16-20 count, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 spaghetti squash cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Add butter and olive oil to a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Pat dry the shrimp with a paper towel and add it to the skillet in a single layer.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for 1 additional minute
- Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Add in the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest and white wine.
- Cook for 1 minute then add in the spaghetti squash and shrimp.
- Toss well before serving and top with Parmesan cheese.