Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce made from chicken but flavored with herbs and spices that make it taste like your favorite Italian sausage meat sauce for a hearty and delicious healthy meal!
Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce may sound like a recipe you’ve seen on other blogs, but the difference here is I make the meat sauce with chicken, but season it so it tastes like beef and sausage!
One of the best shortcuts I find in making a delicious meat sauce (and keeping the calories down) is to use spices similar to those used in making sausage.
Of all the spices in the recipe the most flavorful is the fennel seeds, which when cooked with the ground chicken add a distinctly rich flavor to the sauce and make this dish so comforting you won’t miss the red meat or the pasta.
Plus, with the ingredients as healthy as they are you can even go ahead and enjoy a slice of garlic bread with it if you wanted as this dish is only 1 smart point per serving.
Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite pasta hacks while watching our simple carb intake. I do sometimes (when I am craving pasta) add in some angel hair pasta to toss them together. This way I get more volume than just using pasta with half the calories.
Looking for some beef diet friendly options?
Tools used in the making of this Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce:
Cast Iron Dutch Oven: The perfect dutch oven for browning then simmering and the lid is a second pan!
Crushed Tomatoes: My go to brand for canned tomatoes, the flavors are like fresh.
Tomato Paste: I used to use the store brand canned variety but this one is my go to and easier to store.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 spaghetti squash
- olive oil spray
- parsley optional
- Parmesan cheese optional
- Add the olive oil to a cast iron dutch oven on high heat.
- Add in the ground chicken and cook until crispy, breaking it into larger chunks.
- Add in fennel seeds, onion and garlic, cooking until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the basil, oregano, sugar, kosher salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Let it cook for 30 seconds while stirring until you can smell the herbs.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and water and let simmer (uncovered) for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- While the sauce is cooking cut the spaghetti squash into 3 inch tall rings and scrape out the seeds.
- Put them on a large plate and microwave for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Carefully remove the squash into a large bowl.
- Spray for just a half second onto the squash, toss and spray another half second.
- Serve into bowls and spoon over the meat sauce.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.